Monday, September 30, 2019 / Richmond, BC, Canada

Tsujiri Richmond


I had waited for almost a year before attempting to the check this famous green tea dessert place out.  It didn't start off great.  I made an reservation for an early dinner on a weekday via OpenTable but my reservation got canceled twice by the restaurant with no explanation given.  I left them a voice message but obviously no one returned my call.  Finally I got myself a reservation for two on a Saturday afternoon almost a month later. 

We ordered a Japanese Style High Tea set with Usucha, a Matcha Souffle Pancake and an Unagi Dashi Chazuke just for myself. 

The Japanese Style High Tea set which is a Japanese sweet and soba noodle sampler: Sakura mochi, pink mochi with pickled sakura, Kinako Warabimochi, Macha Warabimochi, monaka, chocolate lava cake with Matcha filling, Koicha Opera Cake, Matcha soba with unagi and another one with candied salmon.  The High Tea set really show case the traditional Japanese sweet that you rarely can get in Vancouver.  

Unagi Dashi Chazuke

The Matcha Soufflé Pancake is too wet and not airy enough.  Hojicha ice cream is good but portion is too small.  
I am mostly impressed by the pink mochi with pickled sakura.  I got some salted sakura in a small jar to make sakura tea and it has an acquired taste that I personally didn't really enjoy it.  I am so surprise that the pickled sakura pairs so well with the sweet pink mochi.  I was also impressed by the monaka.  The wafers has this nutty flavour and the red bean filing is on the lighter side.  When eating with a shiratama dango altogether provide a complex texture and flavour. 

I have to say that I didn't really enjoy my Usucha. It is just too bitter and too thick for me.   



Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© messa on holiday | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig